
"I know they say, you can't go home again, I just had to come back one last time."

"Ma'am I know you don't know me from Adam, but these hand prints on the front steps are mine."
Okay, so they aren't exactly on the front steps, but these hand prints are the border of my ceiling in my room. They are a little childish I know, but they've been here for as long as I can remember. Somehow they mean something to me.

"And up those stairs, in that little back bedroom is where I did my homework and I learned to play guitar."
This is the door to my little room in the back of the house. I've did my homework in there, on my bed. I even taught myself to play Joey back there. I would lock myself up in there and wouldn't come out until I'd learned a certain chord or song. I love my little room. I'll miss it.

"And I'll bet you didn't know, under that live oak, my favorite dog is buried in the yard."
My dog, Ike is buried back in that little corner with a big tree over it. I loved Ike so much. I was probably 8 or 9 when he died, and I was devastated. When my dad buried him back there, we planted a tulip over the spot. You can't see it in the picture because the tulip had already bloomed then died. But it blooms every year. I know its silly, but I still miss that dog. He was a huge Lab/Great Dane mix and he seemed especially huge to me as a little girl. He was the best dog, and as cheesy and cliche as this sounds, he truly was "man's best friend" to me and my family. Even Mom loved him enough to let him come in the house in the freezing winters when Ike was old and sick. People in my neighborhood still talk about that big, lovable dog. He even chased away an intruder once... but that's another story.
This house has become a symbol of stability to me. It's always been strong and sturdy. My family has been there. In this house, we had Family Home Evening, Prayer, and Scripture Study. Maybe I don't remember anything specifically, but we have them all. My parents have done a great job.
"Mama cut out pictures of houses for years from Better Homes and Gardens magazine. Plans were drawn and concrete poured, nail by nail and board by board Daddy gave life to mama’s dream"This is more like, my Daddy looked at houses on lines as a hobby. We never really thought we were going to move. Mom didn't want to. She loves our ward and stake. Then along come a house. It was bigger, it was nice, and best of all, it was right up the street and had belonged to an older couple in the ward who we loved very much. (Also, please forgive the terrible picture quality, I took it of a picture they had on Google Maps, so its not very good quality, but pretty much I don't want to go up the street and take a picture because I wasn't feeling good this morning so I didn't go to church and therefore I am wearing shorts and a t-shirt and no makeup. :)
"I thought if I could touch this place or feel it, this brokenness inside me might start healing. Out here it's like I'm someone else, I thought that maybe I could find myself. I could just come in I swear I'll leave, won't take nothing but a memory from The House That Built Me."
"You leave home you move on and you do the best you can. I got lost in this old world and forgot who I am."
"I thought if I could touch this place or feel it, this brokenness inside me might start healing. Out here it's like I'm someone else, I thought that maybe I could find myself. I could just come in I swear I'll leave, won't take nothing but a memory from The House That Built Me."
This is the House That Built Me. And I'll miss it. But I'm also excited for the new opportunity to live in this new house. I'm excited! :)
Thanks for dealing with my cheesiness. :)
~Alison
GREAT post, Ali. I know this has been hard on you. That house has been your foundation and stability all these years. Can't imagine how I'll feel when Nanny and Ampy sell the house that your mom and I grew up in. It's the only house I've EVER known as home and I'll definitely leave a part of my heart with it when it's no longer theirs.
ReplyDeleteI love how the song went so well with your thoughts, too--very cool! Your new house is a new chapter in your amazing life. Look for the good and you'll find it. A friend of mine recently said to me: "You have 2 choices when life happens to you: you can become BITTER or BETTER--it's up to you." Because you're such an amazing young lady oozing with life and happiness, I KNOW you'll be able to find the BETTER.
Luv you SO much, Ali!
--Aunt DeDe
What a wonderful post: full of feeling, emotion and hope! You've really got a gift for writing and for touching hearts!
ReplyDeleteJana and her 6 siblings grew up in a small 3 bedroom, 2 bath house and she always talks about how "Love Grows Best in Little Houses" (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=love+grows+best+in+little+houses&aq=f). But, in the end, it's not the size of the house, but the size of the hearts in the house that makes it a great place - and you guys have the biggest hearts I know!
Although you'll probably always have a soft spot for your little house, the new house will soon be bursting with precious memories also.
Love ya, milady!
Uncle Richard
I will miss that house too, so many great memories for me. Keep your memories in your heart and make new ones in your new home.
ReplyDeleteLove Ya,
Becky
Thank you Ali. It may not seem like it, but I will miss this home too.
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Dad
Wow. This post just totally made me cry!!! You are an AMAZING writer Ali! Your photographs are beautiful too! I love the shots of your front and backyard. Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI've loved this song for a while now too! I think about my parents home the same way... So many sweet memories there. Life is full of change, and change isn't easy, but you will build beautiful memories as you move forward to your new home and off to college soon too.
Nana Haycock used to sing "Our home is a pretty little home, a pretty little home indeed..." everytime they moved. Mom says she thinks Nana sang it until she actually believed it:) Before she knew it, each new place held special memories and felt like home:)