December 22, 2010

The Five Days of Christmas: The Random Family Traditions

So another one of the best parts of the Christmas for me are the random traditions that my family has. Here are some of them. :)

The Christmas tree. I love this tradition. The first Monday night after Thanksgiving, we decorate our tree. We each have a box with ornaments given to us over the years. It is very fun and once its up, I like to go in and just look at it.

Snow. Not exactly a family tradition, but for me snow at Christmas time is a necessity. However, after Christmas I get pretty much sick of the white fluffy stuff very quickly.

This is a new one. This remote turns our outdoor Christmas lights on and off. A new tradition that we all love. The first little while that we had it, the little kids liked to take it and turn the lights on and off until one or both of my parents would tell them to cut it out. It is very nice because it means that we don't have to go shivering out to unplug them. It also means I don't feel like I'm about to get electrocuted when I pull the plug out of the socket and it sparks.... yikes.

Whenever we sit down to read a Christmas story, we light all of these candles. After we finish, each of the kids takes a turn blowing out one of the candles. A very fun, simple tradition.

This can be a symbol of neighbor gifts as it is one that we received a couple years back. It is also a symbol of the peace that we try to create in our home during this Christmas season, mostly by telling the kids that Santa Claus is still watching.

Of course, Believing is a tradition. Believing in Santa Claus and that he will still come even though we weren't always perfect. Believing in the Christmas spirit, believing that somewhere, somehow, I will find the perfect gift for my best friend, and a million other things.

Merry Christmas again!
Lots of love, Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment